Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies...

Image from somethingsweetbykaren
These are SOOO good!  The kind of good that makes you not care whether or not they're grain free.  Really!  Big, soft and cakey.  I guess if you're not into that and you only like thin, crispy, chewy, these aren't for you.  But when you bake grain free, your tastes change somewhat.
These are the best chocolate chip cookies I've made so far.  They are adapted from the recipe for chocolate chip scones in The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 scant cup agave nectar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, agave nectar, and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined, then fold in the chocolate. Drop the batter, in scant 1/4 cups 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets.  (I used my big cookie scoop.)

Bake for 12 to 17 minutes, until golden brown or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let them cool on the baking sheets.

Eat 'em while they're hot!

4 comments:

Janet said...

These look really good, Julie. I can't eat eggs so I've been making Elana's recipe which does not have any eggs in it. This looks like a good one to try out for my family.

Julie said...

It is very good! I think your family will definitely enjoy them. I sometimes dink around with Elana's recipes to include butter instead of oil and add more eggs. We have chickens so I'm always trying to incorporate them into our food.

Jan J. said...

I am munching on one of these now and trying hard to resist another LOL! These are yummy and I love that they have butter and eggs - that's why I used this instead of Elana's recipe - I think I found your link in the comments. Thanks so much! It's easy to stay on a lower carb track with treats like this!

Julie said...

So glad you like them! I haven't made them for awhile and now that summer is on the wane, I think I will. We don't have air conditioning so my baking is pretty limited when it's hot. I also sub lots with Elana's other recipes, especially the muffins. I made one of them into a chocolate chocolate chip muffin. Very yummy!

Post a Comment